Thomas McCutcheon

When you’re injured in an accident, your time is taken. Usually, that means getting the proper medical care and time off work you need to heal. When it comes to personal injury cases, many people are unsure of how to go about getting these bills paid. Not only will they be getting medical bills from the hospitals, but being out of work makes even your regular bills hard to pay. Just like every car accident is different, so is every personal injury case. Here are the factors that will be taken into consideration when determining your compensation.

Medical Bills

Medical expenses such as hospital stays and doctor visits cost money, and depending on the severity of the injury, you could be left with bills that are far beyond what you can manage to pay. Your medical bills should be paid for by your medical insurance, not the negligent party’s insurance. That comes later! Future medical expenses that are reasonably certain can be calculated into your amount of compensation.

Lost Wages

People who are injured often can not work. If you miss work, you miss income. The amount of income you lost overall due to the injury will be included in your personal injury case.

Property Damage

If you are in an accident due to the negligence of another driver, you should be entitled to compensation for property damage for your vehicle. We don’t charge for property damage, and the sad reality is that the value for vehicles is fairly easily established and not easily changed.

Other Damages

Non-economic damages can be difficult to calculate. Damages such as pain and suffering related to the accident you were involved in must be considered. Often it takes a jury to decide how much compensation you should receive. Punitive damages can be awarded in cases where a defendant acts with reckless disregard. That might include driving while intoxicated or driving at a high rate of speed.

While the insurance companies will be looking out for their own best interests, you should have an attorney looking out for yours. A good personal injury attorney can help you obtain the maximum compensation for your injuries.

Be safe and healthy. Your referrals are greatly appreciated.

Ask the Attorney is sponsored by local attorneys, McCutcheon & Hamner, PC, as a service to the residents of NW Alabama.

Please send the questions to:

“Ask the Attorney,”

P. O. Box 38,

Florence, Alabama 35631

or visit our website at:

facebook: McCutcheon and Hamner, P.C.

We will not print your full name in the article. We will not be able to return any written or preprinted items which are submitted.

No representation is made that the quality of legal services to be performed is greater than the quality legal services performed by other lawyers.