Paralegals and legal assistants play a large part in the legal world. They are an essential and important part of any legal team. Paralegals and legal assistants typically do the following:
• Organize and maintain documents in paper and electronic filing systems;
• Gather and arrange evidence and other legal documents for attorney review and case preparation;
• Write or summarize reports to help lawyers prepare for trials;
• Draft correspondence and legal documents;
• Obtain affidavits and other formal statements that may be used as evidence in court;
• Assist lawyers during trials by handling exhibits, taking notes, or reviewing trial transcripts;
• File complaints, motions, exhibits, briefs, appeals and other legal documents with the court and opposing counsel;
• Call clients, witnesses, lawyers, and other parties to schedule interviews, meetings, and depositions;
• Keep clients informed by maintaining contact to advise them of the status of their case;
• General administrative duties such as maintain the lawyer’s calendar, answering telephone calls, assisting clients as they come in the office;
Paralegals and legal assistants are not born, they are made. McCutcheon & Hamner, is looking for a bright, literate, and effective individual to train as a paralegal. We have a great crew and work as a team. We are looking for just the right fit in an individual who is willing to work and gets the job done.
One of the most important qualities that we’re looking for are the ability to communicate with clients. People come to a lawyer because they have a problem they want solved and they can’t solve it themselves. The legal system is complex and it takes patience and understanding to explain why certain things need to be done promptly and why certain information is required.
It’s inside work with a dress code. We start a person without experience $25,000 a year, one week paid vacation for the first year and two the next. We have a 401k retirement plan and five (5) paid sick days a year. We can teach the right person the skills they need to work in the legal profession and raises would come as your value to our team rises.If your resume has an error, we will not hire you.
Buckle up, drive safely and as always your referrals are appreciated! 256-764-0112
Ask the Attorney is sponsored by local attorneys, McCutcheon & Hamner, PC, as a service to the residents of NW Alabama.
Please send the questions to:
“Ask the Attorney,”
P. O. Box 38,
Florence, Alabama 35631
or visit our website at: www.mhatty.com
We will not print your full name in the article. We will not be able to return any written or preprinted items which are submitted.
No representation is made that the quality of legal services to be performed is greater than the quality legal services performed by other lawyers.