When you support local business, you make a difference in your neighborhood.
Small businesses are a critical part of neighborhoods across the nation, and what make each neighborhood so unique. One-third of people support local business by shopping locally every week and 82% of shoppers would choose to support local business rather than a large corporation when provided similar options. When you support a small business, your dollars help create jobs for your community while also supporting innovation and competition.
As one of the leading insurers of small businesses, State Farm® knows how important it is to support local. And whether you’re looking to make small steps to improve your community or you already support local small business on a regular basis, we’ve got some suggestions — both simple and out-of-the-box — on how to make a difference in your corner of the world.
- Shop small - Before any purchase, check area stores in person or online. Or turn to platforms like Bookshop, Lyst and Sook for help finding books or clothing from small retailers.
- Explore and experiment - Once a month, skip the chain restaurant or big-box hardware store and seek out local alternatives. Ask neighbors or check Yelp for recommendations.
- Skip the middleman - Order directly from your favorite local restaurants and stores. Third-party delivery and shopping apps charge merchants high fees that reduce their already-small profits.
- Join a CSA - Community-supported agriculture (CSA) is a system for connecting farmers with locals who will purchase their fresh ingredients. Check localharvest.org for CSA options in your area.
- Buy gift cards - When birthdays and holidays come around, give gift cards to an area spa, restaurant, theater or other local businesses. Gift cards are a great way to introduce others to your favorites.
- Make a donation - Charities are valuable employers and providers in local communities. Amplify your giving by donating to small nonprofits or give directly to the local chapters of national organizations.
- Give a “like” - You can also support small businesses without buying. Liking their social media profiles, leaving positive reviews and sharing them with your friends is powerful word-of-mouth advertising.
State Farm® Insurance Agent
Rebecca Stutts Hovater
501 S Montgomery Ave., Suite C, Sheffield