Before an auto accident...
Remember ABP: Always Be Prepared.
- Download a copy of the State Farm mobile app and register your account. It enables you to have an accessible digital copy of your insurance card as well as agent contact information.
- Stash a copy of your insurance card and registration in your vehicle.
- Keep a camera handy to document any post-accident damage. If you don’t have a phone that could be used for this purpose, consider spending a few dollars on a disposable camera to keep in your vehicle.
After an auto accident...
Ask yourself: Is anyone hurt? If so, immediately contact emergency services for help.
Always call the police, no matter the severity of the accident. If the accident is minor, you may be asked to file a police report on your own, which you should do.
Get out of the way, if you can.
- If the vehicles are drivable, move them to a spot on the shoulder or otherwise out of the way of traffic.
- Turn on your hazard lights and set up emergency cones, if you have them.
- Get out of the vehicle, unless it is unsafe to do so.
- Use the mobile app to contact Roadside Assistance for towing help.
- Record all the details.
- Use the mobile app to alert State Farm that you’ve been in an accident.
- Open the app to share information, such as contact details and insurance details, with anyone else involved in the accident.
- Ask other drivers to share their details, too. That information will be needed once fault and financial responsibility are established. Make sure to record if they are the car owners.
- Using the app, take notes about what you remember of the accident, and upload photos, too. (You’ll find photo reminders of what to take and how many images are needed in the app.)
- Ask for and keep a copy of the police report.
What happens next:
The mobile app will allow you to alert State Farm that you’ve been in an accident and help you to begin the claims process. Coverage levels and determination of fault will help outline who is financially responsible for repairs and other costs, including medical bills. You can use the app to track the status of your claim with the claims center.
What you should never do:
- Don’t try to assign blame.
- Don’t sign anything from anyone other than the police.
- Don’t leave the scene.
State Farm® Insurance Agent
Rebecca Stutts Hovater
501 S Montgomery Ave., Suite C, Sheffield