TUSCUMBIA – The annual memorial service at St. John’s Episcopal Church in Tuscumbia will be held on Sunday, November 3 at 3pm. The public is invited to attend this All Saint’s Day worship service. It will be conducted by the Rev. Don Smith, rector of Grace Episcopal Church in Sheffield. The historic church is located at 300 N. Dickson St. (corner of Dickson and Third Streets).
St. John’s Church was founded in 1839. The present building is Alabama’s earliest example of “Carpenter’s Gothic” architecture. It was erected in 1852. The church was used by the Union Army to stable horses during the Federal occupation of Tuscumbia in the 1860’s. The church was extensively damaged by the tornado that struck Tuscumbia. As a result, the building was reinforced with iron rods and buttresses. The church contains original stained-glass windows and furnishings. The pump organ will be featured in the service music.
St. John’s Church was closed for regular services in 1955. However, it remains a consecrated place of worship maintained through donations.
For more information or to donate to the preservation of the historic church, contact Ninon Parker, Church Trustee, 106 N. Dickson St., Tuscumbia, AL 35674; telephone: 256-383-4401 or 256-710-9081.